Welcome to the beginner’s guide to Chalk Paint®! Learn the basics of painting furniture with Annie Sloan.
1. Remove any hardware from your furniture if possible. Annie has removed the handles from this side cabinet.
2. With Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan, there’s no need for priming or sanding! Just make sure the piece is clean, wiped down with no harsh chemicals.
3. Stir your chosen Chalk Paint® colour. Here Annie has used Old White.
4. Dip you brush in, and apply paint straight onto furniture. Paint in every direction and all over the piece.
5. Wait for the first coat to be touch dry. Depending on your climate, this could be 1-3 hours. Once dry, apply a second coat in the same manner.
6. Wait for the paint to be fully dry. Next, apply the wax in the same manner as the paint. Use a brush or lint-free cloth to apply in all directions. Work in sections so you know where you’ve been!
7. Once applied, use a lint-free cloth to remove any excess wax. Do not rub too hard, as you could remove the wax all together.
8. And that’s it, finished. You can use the piece of furniture as soon as the wax is touch dry, but please note it will take up to 2 weeks to reach its full hardness (known as the ‘curing period’). During this time please be careful with the piece.